In 1968, Rev. R.M. Leffall envisioned the organization of a church, and expressed this desire to Rev. Marshal Hughes, Pastor of Friendship Baptist Church, in Oklahoma City. In keeping with the regulations and doctrine of the Baptist Church, Rev. Leffall and eight other individuals united with Friendship Baptist Church on Sunday, June 23, 1968. Others in the group were Lucy Russell, Roy P. Samuel, Lenice Russell, Jewell Russell, Keith Russell, Kristi Russell, Vernita Farmer and Pamela Farmer.
The formal organization of the "new church" was held that same night at Mount Carmel Baptist Church, 2201 N Prospect, in Oklahoma City. Rev. T.J. Houston chaired the organizational meeting. Rev. Houston found all members to be in good standing, and this constituted the first official service of Holy Temple Baptist Church. The name Holy Temple was given to Rev. Leffall by the Holy Spirit while he was driving to Dallas, Texas. Holy Temple was initially located at 3721 Staton Drive. Between the time of the first Prayer Service on Wednesday June 26, 1968 and the first Sunday, June 30, 1968, twenty-one more individuals united with the Church.
In 1969, Holy Temple relocated to its present location, 1540 NE 50th Street. From 1969 - 1979, the congregation grew to approximately 100 members. The congregation followed leadership, engaged in prayer, and made many sacrifices, and the Brotherhood undertook the task of refurbishing the Church's sanctuary.
After 30 years of leadership, Pastor Leffall announced his plan to retire from the pastorate in March of 1998. In November of 1998, Rev. George Young was installed as the second Pastor of the Church, and served until 2013. In January of 2014, the Church entered into Sixty Days of Prayer before forming a Search Committee for a new leader. May 28, 2014, Rev. Dr. Frank R. McClarty was selected as the third pastor of the Holy Temple Baptist Church. Eleven people united with the Church the first Sunday under the new Pastor's leadership. As of July 2016, Holy Temple now has 74 families, and an overall membership of over 150 people. The membership continues to grow, and contributions have steadily increased.
Under Pastor McClarty's leadership, the Church sold its Mattie Leffall Administration Building, at 1500 NE 50th, and used the proceeds to pay of all outstanding church debt, including a mortgage on its current Church building, at 1540 NE 50th Street.
The Church is blessed to have eight associate ministers, and an administrative staff of 14. There are five (5) deacons, six (6) trustees, and more than thirty Church ministries.
The Church continues to be inspired by the Holy Spirit and to seek God's will by fervent and communal prayer for a new Church facility, necessary to meet the spiritual and ministerial needs of today.